Islington is not only a haven for foodies, but music lovers, too. There’s a venue to suit all tastes, from pubs and dive bars to the Grade II-listed Assembly Hall and Union Chapel. Most famous of all is the O2 Academy Islington, an 800-capacity venue that has hosted the likes of KISS, My Chemical Romance, Kasabian, and The Kooks. If you’re heading to a show, here are ten of the best restaurants for a pre-gig bite to eat.
– Hot Stone – This Japanese restaurant serves expertly prepared sushi, sashimi, and Kobe beef cooked on hot stones.
– The Pig & Butcher – One of London’s finest gastropubs – expect local ales, fresh fish, and carefully sourced meat.
– Oldroyd – Tom Oldroyd’s tiny Upper Street restaurant is still the place to go for great wine and seasonal sharing plates.
– Delhi Grill – Always packed with locals, this Indian canteen serves fantastic home-style curries and sizzling grilled meats.
– The Little Viet Kitchen – Stroll up Chapel Market for authentic Vietnamese pho, lemongrass prawns, and crispy sea bass.
– Terra Rossa – Famous for its Pugliese pasta dishes – try the paccheri with octopus ragu – but also a top spot for pizza.
– Brother Marcus – BM’s eastern Mediterranean sharing plates are ideal for a pre-gig feast. Great veggie options, too.
– Little Georgia – Try traditional Georgian dishes like khinkali (dumplings) and chkmeruli (poussin with garlic sauce).
– Tenshi – Japanese comfort food at its finest – katsu curry, okonomiyaki, tempura, and more. You’ll need to book!
– Frederick’s – An Islington favourite for over 50 years, this modern European restaurant is perfect for date night.
Pre-gig drinks: Sip tropical cocktails at tiki bar Laki Kane, slam pickleback shots at Slim Jim’s, or stick to beers and bar snacks at The Islington Townhouse, a mere stone’s throw from the O2 Academy.
Visit OpenTable to discover more top restaurants in Islington.