AA announces three and four rosette awards – The AA have awarded three rosettes to 21 outstanding UK restaurants, including City Social, Fera at Claridge’s, Typing Room, Timberyard in Edinburgh and The Wild Rabbit in Kingham. Just one restaurant was awarded the prestigious four rosettes – The Burlington Restaurant in Bolton Abbey.
Joe’s Southern Kitchen takes on the McRib – Inspired by the return of the McDonald’s McRib, Joe’s have launched their own MacRib – a soft white sub stuffed with pulled pork ribs, a pork rib patty, sweet BBQ sauce, pickles and chopped onion. A great way to fall of the detox wagon!
New ventures from top UK chefs – A decade after opening The Hand & Flowers, Tom Kerridge has opened a second pub in Marlow called The Coach. It’s a relaxed no-bookings affair so turn up early to try their rotisserie meats, chicken kiev and potted crab. Just down the road, Atul Kochhar has opened new Indian restaurant Sindhu at the Macdonald Compleat Angler Hotel.
There are lots of chefs on the move too, with Restaurant Nathan Outlaw set to relocate to Port Isaac and The Fat Duck moving to Melbourne for a six-month stay. Michael Caines has plans to open his own hotel in Lympstone, Devon, and Cyrus Todiwala has opened a restaurant in Goa.
22 new openings planned for Manchester – An exciting crop of bars and restaurants are set to open in Manchester this year, according to the Manchester Evening News. They include Indian restaurant, Asha’s; Filthy Cow burger bar; a third restaurant from Solita; and new sites from London favourites Burger & Lobster, Hawksmoor and Iberica.
Sushisamba launches Kobe Beef Week – Sushisamba’s first week dedicated to Japan’s exclusive (and expensive!) Kobe beef kicks off on January 19th. Chef Claudio Cardoso has put together a special menu of dishes like Kobe beef tartare and a mini Kobe burger with horseradish mayo.
Restaurants opening in London this spring:
– The team behind Mango Tree will open Chinese restaurant Chai Wu at Harrods on January 18th.
– Yauatcha, The Botanist, Aubaine and more are set to open at Broadgate Circle this spring.
– Paris restaurant Le Chateaubriand will open Le Chabanais in Mayfair in early 2015.
– The Endurance pub in Soho will reopen as Alan Yau’s Chinese gastropub, Duck & Rice.
– Joe’s Southern Kitchen will open a second restaurant and bar in Kentish Town this March.
– Street food heroes Bao have found a permanent home in Soho for their Taiwanese steamed buns.