The Fat Duck gets ready to relaunch – After an eight month stint in Melbourne, Heston Blumenthal and his team will reopen The Fat Duck in Bray on September 29th. In an interview with Jay Rayner, Blumenthal reveals that iconic dishes like snail porridge and the egg and bacon ice-cream will be put into a hall of fame to make way for new creations, including a robotic sweet trolley in the shape of a doll’s house.
British food museum to open in London – Bompas and Parr are set to open the British Museum of Food at Borough Market next month, with plans to move to a larger site after four years. Visitors can look forward to an archive of historic British menus, a food art gallery, and ‘an immersive journey of food into the stomach’.
Fine dining restaurant, Quill, to open in Manchester – Curtis Stewart (formerly of Foxhill Manor) has been named as head chef of Quill, a new £1m restaurant in Manchester. Set to open on King Street on October 30th, the restaurant will serve an a la carte and eight-course tasting menu of modern British dishes.
SRA launches new Food Made Good campaign – The Sustainable Restaurant Association launched a new campaign this month which encourages restaurants to be open with diners about the provenance of their food. The Food Made Good website shows which restaurants are doing their part and encourages diners to make a pledge – for example, to ask if fish is sustainably sourced or to choose tap water over bottled.
Restaurants and bars opening soon:
– Ex-Cinnamon Club chef Abdul Yaseen will open his first solo restaurant, Darbaar, in the City this winter.
– 1847 opens in Bristol very soon, serving innovative vegetarian and vegan dishes.
– Asian fish and seafood restaurant, Sexy Fish, opens in Mayfair on October 19th.
– The Printing Press, a modern Scottish bar and kitchen, opens in Edinburgh in late October.
– The team behind Gymkhana will open Hoppers in Soho on October 28th. It will serve dishes inspired by the roadside street food shacks of Sri Lanka and Tamil Nadu, with a focus on hoppers and dosas.
– Cabana and Comptoir Libanais will open in Manchester this autumn, followed by Busaba in early 2016.
– 45 Jermyn Street will open at Fortnum & Mason next month, replacing The Fountain.
Got some UK food news we should know about? Tell us on twitter or in the comments below.